Flowers, chocolates and jewelry are always lovely gifts for a significant other on Valentine's Day. But who doesn't appreciate a gift that serves the dual purpose of showing love while at the same time investing in your home? The following ideas don't cost much and don't take a lot of time but they are sure to convey your sentiments with the added bonus of being gifts you can both enjoy for a long time to come!
- Print, Frame & Hang Photos - This idea doesn't have to take a long time to prepare! A super quick way to make a sweet keepsake is to find a great photo of the two of you and get it printed at Walgreens, WalMart, Office Depot or the like. While you're waiting for the print, find a magnetic photo frame of the right size. Insert the printed photo and voila, you have a sweet gift to stick to the refrigerator. Make several of varying sizes for an instant refrigerator collage. Upgrade to wooden frames and larger prints for a statement piece that will brighten your walls.
- Upgrade Lighting - You don't have to be a handyman to swap out dated lighting fixtures and you are adding value to your home at the same time. Pick a high profile light that could use an update and for less than $50 and an hour or so of time, your gift will make a big impact. For an extra touch, hang a gift tag from it that says "For the light of my life!"
- Appeal to the Sense of Smell - Whether you go for a basket of lotions, scented candles or plugins that can be dispersed throughout the house, a pleasing scent when your significant other walks through the door will be a sign that love is in the air.
- Replace or Update Bathroom Linens & Fixtures - Sometimes the most thoughtful gestures are small ones that make a big visual impact. The bathroom is one of the most trafficked areas of the house but also often ignored when it comes to updating its accoutrements. A new shower curtain, hand towels, bath mat and soap dispenser will instantly and dramatically add new life to the bathroom. Keep in mind the wall or floor color and add bright pops of color that complement them.
- Install a High-End Shower Head - If you go the bathroom update route, consider a new shower head. For less than $100, you can easily and quickly install a waterfall or multi-stream shower head that will provide your love with a luxurious shower experience in your own home.
- Replace Bedroom Linens - Soft blankets, warm colors and freshly laundered sheets are a joy to slip into. It takes almost no time and requires no special skill to buy a new bedding set - but remember to leave yourself time to wash any new bedding before putting it on!
- Install a Wine or Beer Refrigerator - If you can operate an electric plug in an outlet, you can give the gift of always chilled wine or beer with the purchase of a wine cooler or mini beer fridge, depending on your partner's preference. Valentine's Day is ideal for toasting your love with the frosty beverage of choice and this gift practically screams "I love you!"